Instructions to be followed after the removal of tooth
An extraction is the removal of a tooth (or teeth) that is non-restorable, non-useful, or harmful to the patient.There exists many systemic precautions that should be discussed. Post extraction precautions include some of the following:
- Pressure-bite on gauze or sponge over extraction site for at least 45 minutes after extractions.
- No rinsing or mouthwash use for at least 24 hours post extractions.
- Avoid any pressure that may dissolve clot such as using straws, smoking, etc.
- Avoid brushing the first 24 hours
- Avoid alcohol for a few days.
- Place ice on the face for 20 minutes, alternating with 5 minutes off, for a period of 8 hours.